The Blue Cross Broad Street Run is America’s largest 10-mile race and takes place on one single street in Philadelphia; Broad Street. Due in part to its nearly flat–and even slightly downhill route, it has become a favorite race among the running community for beginners and seasoned participants alike. If you’re thinking of running Broad Street this year – here are 5 reasons to run with Fairmount Park Conservancy:
1. GUARANTEED ENTRY
Since we are an official charity partner of the race, when you register with us, you get a guaranteed bib! Didn’t get a bib through the lottery? No problem – you can still join our team. Don’t feel like dealing with the lottery? Sign up now!
2. GUIDED TRAIL RUNS & HAPPY HOURS
When you join our team, you get the perk of attending group trail runs through amazing trails in different areas of Philadelphia’s parks you may have never seen. You’ll get to know some great trails that you can return to with your running buddies and see some of our trail improvements first hand!
- Saturday, 3/10 9:00 – 11:00AM Meeting spot: Fairmount Park Horticulture Center: A 3-5 mile run on the Centennial 5k loop and Parkside Avenues (near our Centennial Commons project) followed by a brief tour and tea ceremony of the one and only Shofuso Japanese House and Garden. This is primarily a road run.
- Saturday, 3/24 9:00 – 11:00AM Meeting spot: Laurel Hill Mansion: A 3-5 mile run of the Boxers’ Trail in East Fairmount Park featuring an exclusive opportunity to slide down the Ann Newman Giant Wooden Slide at Smith Memorial Playground (normally only for visiting families). The slide is 39′ long and 13′ wide. After the run, join us on Laurel Hill Mansion’s porch for special views of the Schuylkill River. This is a road and trail run.
- Saturday, 3/31 9:00-10:30AM Meeting spot: Chamounix Hostel in West Fairmount Park: A 3-5 mile run along Fairmount Park’s Trolley Trail to see a beautiful old Trolley Bridge followed by an opportunity to take a look inside Chamounix Hostel and enjoy some refreshments on the porch. This is a trail run.
- Saturday, 4/7 9 – 10:30AM Meeting spot: Smith Memorial Arch: A 5-6 mile run to check out our Centennial Commons project and parts of the Belmont Plateau trails concluding with a chance to test out the Whispering Bench at the Smith Memorial Arch. This is a road and trail run.
- Saturday, 4/14 10:30AM – 12:00PM Meeting spot: FDR Park Boathouse: A 3-5 mile run in FDR Park with some exploration of the nearby Navy Yard (location of the Broad Street finish line). Following the run, enjoy a brief welcome and opportunity to explore the American Swedish Historical Museum right near the boathouse. This is a road run.
- Saturday, 4/21 9 – 10:30AM Meeting spot: Lloyd Hall A 5-6 mile run through East Fairmount Park via the Boxers’ Trail including a stop over at Sedgley Woods Disc Golf Course to see the ruins of the Cliffs House. Following the run, Kevin will guide you back to Lemon Hill Mansion (across from Lloyd Hall) where an art installation will be on display and open to the public. This is a road and trail run.
- Saturday, 4/28 9 – 10:30AM Meeting spot: Cedars House Cafe: A 5-6 mile run to see the beautiful trails of the Wissahickon including a scenic route through Houston Meadow. We will finish up at Cedars House Cafe for refreshments and snacks (pay as you go) as we celebrate our last training run and our final week before the Broad Street Run! This is a trail run.
Register here for the extra special guided runs.
You’ll also have a chance to meet fellow runner/park lovers at our Group Run and Happy Hours at Philadelphia Runner on 4/3 and 4/17.
3. MAKING A DIFFERENCE
When you run the Blue Cross Broad Street Run with Fairmount Park Conservancy you are asked to pay a $25 registration fee and raise $475 by June 15th, 2018. The funds you raise help us fulfill our mission to make Philly’s parks the best they can be – including trail improvements. By joining our team, you are making a difference for our parks! Learn more about some of the improvements our Broad Street teams have made since 2014.
4. YEAR LONG MEMBERSHIP
When you sign up to run with us, you get a $50-level membership to the Fairmount Park Conservancy which includes lots of great perks:
- Printed copy of our 50 Unique Experiences in Fairmount Park map
- Free and discounted member events including guided hikes, yoga classes, kayak trips, runs, and more! Upcoming events listed here.
- Fairmount Park Conservancy stickers
- Members e-newsletter with exclusive member-only events and first chance to register for events.
- The exclusive Park Perk Pass! Includes discounts for park institutions and partners such as museums, cafes, and cultural and recreational attractions.
Click here for a full list!
5. COOL SWAG
We are still finalizing what our “cool swag” item will be this year – but in the past we’ve given our runners some pretty swanky New Balance singlets so you can bet that you’ll get something awesome!
Ready to sign up? Click here and you’ll be registered for the 2018 Blue Cross Broad Street Run in no time! And remember…don’t just run in the park, run FOR it!
Does your company want a set of bibs for their employees with extra perks? Learn more about our corporate sponsorship program here.