Philly parks need friends, and this year we are thrilled to welcome 126 Park Friends Groups to the community!
The Park Friends Network is made of community-run park friends groups who help to steward Philadelphia’s public parks. These community groups register with Philadelphia Parks & Recreation and Fairmount Park Conservancy annually and work together to make our parks vibrant, inviting, and active public spaces that strengthen our communities. Park friends groups organize clean-ups and volunteer workdays, plan community events, help to raise funds for improvements, and advocate for Philadelphia’s public park system.
Even more exciting is that this year the Park Friends Network welcomes six new Friends Groups to the network:
- Elmwood Park (Southwest Philadelphia)
- The Friends of Elmwood Park have officially joined the Park Friends Network after participating as the signature site of Love Your Park Fall Service Day 2021!
- Manayunk Bridge Garden (Northwest Philadelphia)
- This pedestrian-only bridge in Manayunk now has an active friends group that has already hosted volunteer cleanups and brought the bridge to life with seating and blooming gardens.
- Shofuso Japanese House & Garden (West Fairmount Park)
- Shofuso is a hidden gem located on the grounds of the Fairmount Park Horticulture Center. While it has been a long-time partner and Love Your Park participant, we are thrilled to welcome them officially into the Park Friends Network!
- The Spring Gardens (Spring Garden)
- The Spring Gardens is an urban community garden in Spring Garden built by neighbors in 1995 and helps families grow food and flowers for themselves and for donation. We’re happy to have them join our network of park and community garden volunteers!
- Williams Moore Reed Memorial Park (North Philadelphia)
- This newly dedicated park has been cared for by neighbors for decades. It was recently renovated and dedicated in 2021 in honor of Keisha Williams and her children, who were tragically killed while fundraising for the new park. It is an honor to have the Williams Moore Reed Memorial Park and their dedicated park champions join the Park Friends Network.
- Winter Street Greenway – Rob Stuart Memorial Dog Parks (Logan Square)
- This small linear park located near the Benjamin Franklin Parkway only recently opened and is home to a new playscape, a dog park, seating, and drinking fountains. Welcome, friends!
Manayunk Bridge Garden
Park friends groups are always looking for new members and volunteers. To get involved, please contact your local park friends group.
No group at your local park? Learn how to start one by checking out the Park Friends Group Toolkit and contacting the Philadelphia Parks & Recreation Stewardship office at PPRstewardship@phila.gov or call (215) 683-3640.