Join us for a hike through history as we explore the relics, ruins, and natural wonders of West Fairmount Park
Saturday, April 24, 2021
9:00am - 11:00am
4700 States Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Join two park history buffs – beloved hike leader Brad Maule and Public Program Coordinator John Sigmund for a hike through history as we explore the relics, ruins, and natural wonders of West Fairmount Park, once the grounds of the 1876 Centennial Exposition. We will begin at the Ohio House, one of the few remaining buildings from the Centennial, and then explore two lakes, a hidden tunnel, a lesser known trail in the woods behind the Mann Center, and find the ruins of the water reservoir on George’s Hill.
Estimated distance: 3 miles
Level: easy to moderate
Terrain: combination of flat open parkland and hilly trails
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 12 & up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park)
- For optimal moon enjoyment, bring a pair of binoculars
- Friendly dogs on leash are welcome.
- There are bathrooms available at the beginning and end of the hike if absolutely necessary
- PARKING: there is plenty of free parking in Woodford’s back driveway and along Dauphin Dr. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
IMPORTANT: We will leave promptly at scheduled time (9 am). Please arrive at the departure location at least 5 minutes early. Latecomers will not be allowed to join after the group has departed.
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event will be capped at 16 people. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- All participants must wear a mask for the duration of the event
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
POSTPONEMENT / CANCELLATION POLICY: Hike will take place in light rain. In case of severe rain storms or other inclement weather, event will be cancelled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.
Bradley Maule is the Communications Manager with the Mt. Airy CDC. Brad brings a background in journalism to his position handling communications for Mt. Airy CDC—and a four-block commute from his home in the neighborhood. His writing and photography have appeared in the Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia magazine, and lots of other publications in print and online. He was the founder and editor of Philly Skyline (phillyskyline.com), he is a contributing editor for Hidden City Philadelphia (hiddencityphila.org. Besides being our guided hike guru, Brad somehow finds time to work with other organizations like Friends of the Wissahickon and Chestnut Hill Conservancy.