Explore the physical remains of what is now a hidden trolley network along this 4-mile loop hike.
Sunday, October 15, 2023
10:00am - 12:30pm
3250 Chamounix Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Join Fairmount Park Conservancy’s Kevin Roche on October 15 from 10:00 AM–12:30 PM for a guided hike to learn about the Trolley Trail’s fascinating past and present. The Fairmount Park Trolley operated in East and West Park from 1896-1946, providing a reliable and enjoyable means of accessing park amenities. Explore the physical remains of what is now a hidden trolley network including massive stone tunnels and bridge abutments along this 4-mile loop hike.
More about the Trolley Trail:
Fairmount Park Conservancy–along with its key partners at Philadelphia Parks & Recreation (PPR) and the Belmont Plateau Trails Alliance (BPTA)–have been working to develop the Trolley Trail while pursuing key goals: reducing adverse impacts on habitat and preserving the single track mountain bike trails. The new Trolley Trail will wend its way close to bridge abutments and through tunnels dating back to 1897. Future phases will bring signage, maps, and trail blazes to guide users through the vast reaches of West Fairmount Park once only accessible via the trolley. Read more here.
Estimated distance: 4-mile loop
Terrain: mainly hilly trails
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $10, $15, or $20
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- The hike is roughly four miles in length over mainly hilly trails.
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 14 & up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions and wear good hiking shoes (boots/sneakers).
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park).
- There are no bathrooms at the start/end of the hike, but there is a bathroom (porta-potty) available along the hike route.
- Bring sunscreen and bug spray.
- We will leave promptly at the scheduled time. Please arrive at the departure location at least 5 minutes early. Latecomers aren’t guaranteed to join after the group has departed.
PARKING/GETTING THERE: There is plenty of free parking available in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car! If traveling by public transit, the nearest stop is at Ford and Cranston Road (a one mile walk from the start). The nearest Indego bike station is at MLK Drive and Strawberry Mansion Bridge (about one mile away).
QUESTIONS? Please reach out to email@example.com
Enjoy our programs? Become a Supporter of Fairmount Park Conservancy to help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come! Supporters enjoy special benefits like early registration access for events and our Park Perk Pass, which offers discounts and benefits throughout Philadelphia.
The hike will take place in light rain. In case of severe storms or other inclement weather, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.