Join Kevin Roche, Fairmount Park Conservancy staff member, hike leader, and Trolley Trail enthusiast for a hike through the park’s fascinating past and present!
Sunday, November 6, 2022
10:00am - 12:30pm
3250 Chamounix Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19131
The Fairmount Park Trolley operated in East & West Park from 1896-1946 providing a reliable and enjoyable means of accessing park amenities. Explore the physical remains of what is now a hidden trolley network including massive stone tunnels and bridge abutments along this 4 mile loop hike.
Fairmount Park Conservancy–along with its key partners at Philadelphia Parks and Rec (PPR) and the Belmont Plateau Trails Alliance (BPTA)–have been working to develop the Trolley Trail while pursuing key goals: reducing adverse impacts on habitat and preserving the single track mountain bike trails. The new Trolley Trail will wind its way close to bridge abutments and through tunnels dating back to 1897. Future phases will bring signage, maps and trail blazes to guide users through the vast reaches of West Fairmount Park once only accessible via the trolley. Read more here
Estimated distance: 4 mile loop
Terrain: mainly hilly trails
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $15, $20, or $25
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Meet at 10:00 AM (unless otherwise noted) outside of the Chamounix Hostel/Mansion in West Fairmount Park.
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 14 & up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park)
- Unfortunately there are NO bathrooms available near the hike route
IMPORTANT: We will leave promptly at scheduled time (10 am). Please arrive at the departure location at least 5 minutes early. Latecomers aren’t guaranteed to join after the group has departed.
PARKING: There is plenty of free parking available. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event.
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you’re in proximity to others.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
INSTRUCTOR BIO: Read more about Kevin Roche, who leads all of the Trolley Trail hikes, here.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the hike will be rescheduled.