Explore the physical remains of what is now a hidden trolley network along this 4-mile loop hike.
Saturday, April 23, 2022
10:00am - 12:30pm
3250 Chamounix Dr
Philadelphia, PA 19131
The Fairmount Park Trolley operated in East & West Park from 1896-1946 providing a reliable and enjoyable means of accessing park amenities. Explore the physical remains of what is now a hidden trolley network including massive stone tunnels and bridge abutments along this 4 mile loop hike led by Kevin Roche.
Fairmount Park Conservancy–along with its key partners at Philadelphia Parks & Recreation (PPR) and the Belmont Plateau Trails Alliance (BPTA)–have been working to develop the Trolley Trail while pursuing key goals: reducing adverse impacts on habitat and preserving the single track mountain bike trails. The new Trolley Trail will wend its way close to bridge abutments and through tunnels dating back to 1897. Future phases will bring signage, maps and trail blazes to guide users through the vast reaches of West Fairmount Park once only accessible via the trolley. Read more here
Estimated distance: 4 mile loop
Level: moderate to difficult. Some hiking experience recommended
Terrain: combination of flat open parkland and hilly trails
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $15, $20, or $25
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
ATTENDEE INSTRUCTIONS: KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Please wear appropriate footwear (hiking boots recommended)
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 14 & up. Minors must be ticketed and accompanied by an adult.
- Dress according to weather conditions.
- Bring your own water and snacks. (drinking water is not available in the park)
- There are limited nearby bathrooms (porta-potties). Please plan accordingly
PARKING: there is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event will be capped at 18 people. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event.
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you’re in proximity to others.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the hike will be rescheduled.