Explore the remains of the old Fairmount Park trolley line along this 4-mile loop hike.
Sunday, March 17, 2024
8:30am - 11:00am
3250 Chamounix Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Join Fairmount Park Conservancy’s Kevin Roche on March 17 from 12:30–3:00 PM for a guided hike to learn about the Trolley Trail’s fascinating past and present. The Fairmount Park Trolley operated in East and West Park from 1896-1946, providing a reliable and enjoyable means of accessing park amenities. Explore the physical remains of what is now a hidden trolley network including massive stone tunnels and bridge abutments along this 4-mile loop hike.
More about the Trolley Trail:Fairmount Park Conservancy–along with partners at Philadelphia Parks & Recreation and the Belmont Plateau Trails Alliance–have been working to develop the Trolley Trail, a scenic multi-purpose trail that loosely follows the path of the former Fairmount Park Trolley. New gateways, trail signage, and bike racks were recently added and a ribbon cutting was held in November 2023. Read more here.
Estimated distance: 4-mile loop
Terrain: mainly hilly trails
TICKET PRICE: $15
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- The hike is roughly four miles in length over mainly hilly trails.
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 14 and up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions and wear good hiking shoes (boots/sneakers).
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park).
- Unfortunately, there are no bathrooms along the hike route so please plan accordingly.
- We will leave promptly at the scheduled time. Please arrive at the departure location at least 5 minutes early. Latecomers aren’t guaranteed to join after the group has departed.
PARKING/GETTING THERE: There is plenty of free parking available in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car! If traveling by public transit, the nearest stop is at Ford and Cranston Road – a one-mile walk from the start. The nearest Indego bike station is at MLK Drive and Strawberry Mansion Bridge – also about one mile away.
QUESTIONS? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy our programs? Become a Supporter of Fairmount Park Conservancy to help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come! Supporters enjoy special benefits like early registration access for events and our Park Perk Pass, which offers discounts and benefits throughout Philadelphia.
The hike will take place in light rain. In case of severe storms or other inclement weather, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.