Take a guided hike that goes from trail…to taps!
Thursday, August 10, 2023
2:00pm - 4:00pm
Lemon Hill Mansion
Lemon Hill Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Join John Sigmund, Public Programs Manager and park history enthusiast, for a thirsty Thursday guided hike that goes from the trails to the taps! This social hike series is a great way to get out on the trails and meet new people over cold drinks at a “Parks on Tap ” in Fairmount Park. Parks on Tap is a popular tradition of a traveling beer garden that visits the city’s various neighborhood parks. Proceeds benefit Fairmount Park Conservancy and the Park Friends Network.
PLEASE NOTE: All hikes are 2 HOURS and about 2-3 miles, except for 7/13 at Belmont Plateau, which is 2.5 HOURS (5:30-8 pm) and about 4.5 miles.
2023 TRAILS TO ALES SERIES:
Thursday June 8, 5:30-7:30 @ Shofuso Japanese Cultural Center – with a special tour inside the gates of Shofuso Japanese House & Garden, followed by a hike into Landsdowne Glen led by Beth Yount, Master Watershed Steward Coordinator with Penn State Extension in Philadelphia. Beth will discuss the ecology of the glen, with a focus on Lansdowne Creek and connected watersheds. John Sigmund will share some historical information about the area, particularly its transformation from an 18th century colonial mansion to the site of one of the most remarkable events in 19th century America: the 1876 Centennial Exposition.
- MEET AT: Across from the entrance to the Shofuso Japanese Cultural Center – Lansdowne & Horticultural Drive, Philadelphia PA 19131
Thursday July 13, 5:30-8:00 pm @ Belmont Plateau – with a loop hike through the Trolley Trail to see plenty of old bridges, tunnels, and other hidden gems of old train infrastructure that gave the trail its namesake
- MEET AT: Belmont Plateau in front of the parking lot – 1800 Belmont Mansion Dr, Philadelphia, PA 19131
Thursday August 10, 6:00-8:00 pm @ Lemon Hill – with a short hike on the Lemon Hill Trail and a special tour inside Lemon Hill Mansion to see the progress of recent renovations undertaken by the City.
- MEET AT: Driveway entrance / info sign for Lemon Hill Mansion – Lemon Hill Dr, Philadelphia, PA 19130
Thursday September 28, 5:00-7:00 pm @ Strawberry Mansion Bridge – with a hike on portions of East Park’s Boxer’s Trail and West Park’s Trolley Trail, ending with stunning sunset view from the iconic Strawberry Mansion Bridge.
- MEET AT: Woodford Mansion – 2300 N 33rd St, Philadelphia, PA 19132
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $15, $20, or $25
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Appropriate for adults & mature adolescents (minors must be ticketed and accompanied by a guardian).
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Please wear sturdy shoes suitable for hiking.
- Bring water.
- Bring bug spray and sunscreen.
- The event officially ends at Parks on Tap and the choice to enter the premises is at the individual discretion of each attendee.
FOR PARKS ON TAP:
- The beer garden is 21+ to enter with valid, government issued, photo identification
- Children, families and anyone under 21 are welcome to join as long as they are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Parks on Tap is free to event but guests must sign-in every visit. Daily sign in can be found here.
PARKING: There is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
Enjoy our programs? Become a Supporter of Fairmount Park Conservancy to help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come! Supporters enjoy special benefits like early registration access for events and our Park Perk Pass, which offers discounts and benefits throughout Philadelphia.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be cancelled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.