Join our evening guided kayak tour of the three connected bodies of water: Pattison Lagoon, Edgewood Lake, and Hollander Creek.
Wednesday, June 7, 2023
7:00pm - 8:30pm
FDR Park Boathouse
1500 Pattison Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19145
Did you know that FDR is the only park with publicly accessible lakes and an active boating program? Come see for yourself by joining our evening guided kayak tour of the three connected bodies of water: Pattison Lagoon, Edgewood Lake, and Hollander Creek.
Kayaking on the flat waters of “The Lakes” with the warm glow of the setting sun is a serene, yet exciting experience. Moving calmly through the water lets you closely observe an array of wildlife, especially the variety of bird species. An always great sight is the great blue heron who has made the rowboats in the middle of the lake its preferred park perch!
Tour departs from the FDR Boathouse and heads to the nearby Pattison Lagoon. From there, you’ll cross the main body of water, called Edgewood Lake, and head south to Hollander Creek, a body of water hidden in the woods and marshlands. Returning to the main lake, you’ll experience a rarely seen perspective of FDR Park and enjoy spectacular views of the sun setting on the city skyline in the distance! Experienced kayak guides from Discovery Pathways will share interesting info along the way.
No gear or kayaking experience necessary- kayaking equipment and instruction provided by a professional kayak instructor.
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $30, $40, or $50
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- All tours begin with a brief safety talk and on-shore kayaking lesson.
- Moderate exertion level
- Recommended for ages 12 and up. Parental consent required for minors.
- Please dress according to weather conditions and wear clothes you don’t mind getting wet.
- For optimal nature enjoyment, bring a pair of binoculars.
- Bring water and a snack
- Bring bug spray and sunscreen
- There are nearby bathrooms (port-a-potties)
PARKING: There is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
Enjoy our programs? Become a Supporter of Fairmount Park Conservancy to help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come! Supporters enjoy special benefits like early registration access for events and our Park Perk Pass, which offers discounts and benefits throughout Philadelphia.
In the event of rain or other severe weather conditions, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.