As one of America’s oldest urban parks, Fairmount Park has accumulated many layers of history… sometimes literally!
Sunday, March 13, 2022
9:00am - 12:00pm
Hermit Lane Trailhead
Hermit Ln and Henry Ave
A closer exploration of the landscape reveals the ruins of abandoned infrastructure and buildings that go back to the beginnings of the 178 year old park system, and sometimes even further. Most of the year, nature cloaks these hidden treasures in dense growth, but the bare woods of the winter provide the perfect time to go off the beaten path.
Join veteran hike leader Brad Maule and Public Programs Coordinator John Sigmund — both park history enthusiasts, for a guided exploration of the relics and ruins of the Wissahickon. If you’re fascinated by Philly history and discovering hidden treasures of park past, this hike is not to be missed!
Haunting historic highlights include: a subway that was never built, the oldest paper mill in America, an ancient roman sarcophagus and a cave used by mystic monks.
PLEASE NOTE: this hike will have some challenging sections that require agility. Because we will occasionally venture off trail, you are encouraged to wear sturdy hiking boots and rugged outerwear that can withstand scrapes from sharp sticks and branches (please… no fashion or formal wear! Haha).
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $15, $20, or $25
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
ATTENDEE INSTRUCTIONS: KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Please wear sturdy shoes suitable for hiking
- There are nearby bathrooms along the hike route
- Appropriate for adults & mature adolescents (minors must be ticketed and accompanied by a guardian)
- The hike leaves promptly at the scheduled time. Latecomers may not be able to join the group.
PARKING: there is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be cancelled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.