CANCELLED due to extreme heat.
Join us for a special bike tour of the Parkside neighborhood and the park’s Centennial District.
Sunday, July 24, 2022
9:00am - 12:00pm
School of the Future
4021 Parkside Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Join us for a special bike tour of the Parkside neighborhood and the park’s Centennial District with Michael Burch (science educator, community organizer, and founder of the Parkside Journal) and John Sigmund, Public Programs Manager and passionate park history buff.
Parkside. The name says it all — it’s the neighborhood beside West Fairmount Park. Similarly to Strawberry Mansion on the other side of the Schuylkill, Parkside is where the city grid meets the greenspace, buffered by a boulevard of grand homes facing the park. Much of the Parkside neighborhood was built during the 1876 Centennial Exhibition. Originally populated by German-Americans and Jewish immigrants of Russian descent, after World War II, the Great Migration coupled with ‘white flight’ transformed Parkside into a predominantly African-American neighborhood, which it remains to this day. In 1983, community organizers got the neighborhood listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of its cultural legacy and many fine examples of Victorian architecture.
Tour highlights include:
- Historic Parkside Ave houses and apartment buildings
- Sweetbriar and Cedar Grove mansions
- Smith Memorial Arch
- Centennial Commons
- Shofuso Japanese House and Garden
- Please Touch Museum
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $15, $20, or $25
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- This event is BYOB…as in, bring your own bike (and helmet!). If you don’t have a bike, there is an Indego Bike share doc at the Philadelphia Zoo – 1046 N. 34th Street and Girard Ave. For a full map of Indego Bike Share locations, visit https://www.rideindego.com/stations/ If you plan to use bike share, please arrive with your own helmet.
- Most of the ride is flat; however, there will be some hilly sections
- Everyone must wear a helmet at all times. Riders who arrive without a helmet will not be permitted to join the tour.
- Appropriate for Adults and families with children ages 14 & up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park).
- There are nearby bathrooms available before or after the tour (if absolutely necessary)
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event will be capped. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you’re in close proximity to others
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.