Session I: 9:00 – 11:00AM
Saturday, April 23, 2022
9:00am - 11:00am
FDR Park Boathouse
1500 Pattison Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19145
PARK 101 Intro to Kayaking Class is designed to teach basics about kayaking. This class is best suited for students who have little or no experience kayaking – although all are welcome!
This 2 hour class will introduce you to the fundamentals of kayaking on calm, flat water and at a relaxed pace. An expert instructor will introduce the best use of equipment (kayaks, paddle, jackets, etc.), proper strokes and paddling technique, and the basics of water safety. Regardless of whether you have a lot, a little, or no experience kayaking, this is a great way to improve upon what you already know or build a new skill set.
Once you gain confidence on the water, participants will have the chance to explore the park’s three connected bodies of water: Pattison Lagoon, Edgewood Lake, and Hollander Creek.
Two sessions available:
Session I: 9:00 – 11:00AM
Session II: 11:00AM – 1:00PM
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $30, $40, or $50
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
ATTENDEE INSTRUCTIONS: KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Class begins with a safety talk and on-shore kayaking lesson.
- Moderate exertion level.
- Recommended for ages 12 and up
- Parental consent required for minors
- Please dress according to weather conditions and wear clothes you don’t mind getting wet
- Bring water and a snack
- Bring bug spray
- There are nearby bathrooms (port-a-potties)
PARKING: there is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event.
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you’re in proximity to others.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.
FDR Park Plan Overview from Fairmount Park Conservancy on Vimeo