Join us for a moonlit hike and telescope observation!
Tuesday, May 2, 2023
8:00pm - 10:00pm
3298 Sedgley Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Our moonwalk and stargazing series continues as we celebrate the appearance of May’s “Flower Moon”. This name should be come as no surprise as flowers spring forth in abundance this month!
First, we’ll use the moonlight to guide us on a short hike on a portion of Lemon Hill Trail, appreciating nature lit by the glowing moon. Using minimal artificial light, we’ll let our eyes adjust to look for bats and nocturnal creatures who take advantage of moonlight to scour the ground for their next meal.
Next we’ll turn our attention to the moon itself by ending the hike with a guided moon and planet observation at the Lemon Hill picnic pavilion. Novice and experienced astronomers alike will be given insights and tips by experienced instructor Buddy Muhler. Each attendee will have the chance to travel close up to the moon’s surface by looking through Buddy’s high-powered telescope! Buddy will discuss the lunar cycles, point out interesting visible surface features such as dark gray mares (seas) and white reflective highlands. We’ll gaze at planets and discuss other astronomical wonders of the night sky.
Best of all, we’ll have a bonfire with complimentary hot chocolate and s’mores to enjoy around the fire.
If you’re a lunar lunatic, this is an evening not to miss!
Estimated distance: 2 miles
Level: easy to moderate
Terrain: combination of flat open parkland and hilly trails
IMPORTANT: This is a night hike and after a short intro talk, we will leave promptly. Please arrive at the departure location at scheduled time. We cannot guarantee latecomers will be able join after the group has departed.
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $10, $15, or $20
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- This hike is roughly two miles in length over a combination of open parkland and hilly terrain (easy-moderate exertion).
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 6 & up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- Attendees are encouraged to bring their own telescopes or high powered binoculars.
- Please dress according to weather conditions and wear sturdy walking / hiking footwear.
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park).
- Friendly dogs on leash are welcome.
- We will use moonlight whenever possible, but for portions of the trail, we recommend bringing flashlight, headlamp, or fully charged smartphone.
- There are bathrooms available at the beginning and end of the hike if absolutely necessary
PARKING: There is plenty of free parking in the lot behind the Lemon Hill Mansion. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
GUIDE BIO: Buddy Muhler is a passionate astronomer and science educator. He has over 15 years experience operating telescopes and educating the public on astronomy, first at The Franklin Institute and now in his current position with The Academy of Natural Sciences.
In case of inclement weather or cloudy conditions, the event will be will be RESCHEDULED two days later on THURSDAY (same time). If conditions persist, event will be cancelled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.