Our full moon hike series continues with the appearance of April’s “Pink Moon.”
Friday, April 15, 2022
7:30pm - 9:30pm
3298 Sedgley Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19130
“Saw it written and I saw it say, Pink moon is on its way” – Nick Drake
Our full moon hike series continues on a spring night with the appearance of April’s “Pink Moon.” First, we’ll use the moonlight to guide us on a short hike on a portion of Lemon Hill Trail, appreciating nature lit by the glowing moon. Using minimal artificial light, we’ll let our eyes adjust to look for nocturnal creatures who take advantage of moonlight to scour the ground for their next meal.
Next we’ll turn our attention to the moon itself by ending the hike with a guided moon observation and bonfire at the Lemon Hill Picnic Pavilion. Buddy will discuss the lunar cycles. As you observe through your own binoculars*, he will point out interesting visible surface features such as dark gray mares (seas) and white reflective highlands. And each attendee will have the chance to travel close up to the moon’s surface by looking through Buddy’s high powered telescope!
Best of all, we’ll have complimentary hot chocolate and moonpies to enjoy around the fire! If you’re a lunar lunatic, this is not an evening to miss!
(* a limited supply of binoculars will be available to borrow if you do not have your own)
Estimated distance: 2 miles
Level: easy to moderate
Terrain: combination of flat open parkland and hilly trails
TICKET PRICES: TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $15, $20, or $25
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
ATTENDEE INSTRUCTIONS: KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 12 & up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- For optimal moon enjoyment, bring a pair of binoculars
- Please dress according to weather conditions and wear sturdy walking / hiking footwear
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park)
- Friendly dogs on leash are welcome.
- We will use moonlight whenever possible, but for portions of the trail, we recommend bringing a flashlight, headlamp, or fully charged smartphone.
- There are bathrooms available at the beginning and end of the hike if absolutely necessary
PARKING: there is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
IMPORTANT: This is a night hike and we will leave promptly at scheduled time. Please arrive at the departure location at least 5 minutes early. We cannot guarantee latecomers will be able to join after the group has departed.
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event.
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you’re in proximity to others.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
PRESENTER BIO: Buddy Muhler is an avid astronomer, Fairmount resident, and Flyers superfan. As a science educator at The Franklin Institute and now at the Academy of Natural Sciences, he has over 15 years experience operating telescopes and educating the public on astronomy.
In the event of inclement weather or cloudy conditions, the event will be will be cancelled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.