Join us for an evening guided kayak tour of the Schuylkill River below the dam.
Thursday, August 11, 2022
6:30pm - 8:15pm
Hidden River Outfitters
Walnut Street and Schuylkill River Trail
Join us for an evening guided kayak tour of the Schuylkill River below the dam (falls at Water Works). Kayaking on the tidal Schuylkill offers a whole new perspective on our city and its water source.
Tour departs from the Walnut Street dock along the Schuylkill River Trail and heads upriver to the Fairmount Waterworks, where you’ll experience a rarely seen perspective of these historic structures from the water below. You’ll also enjoy spectacular views of the Art Museum and the city skyline! Experienced kayak guides will share plenty of interesting info along the way.
No gear or kayaking experience necessary — kayaking equipment and instruction provided by Hidden River Outfitters.
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $40, $50, or $60
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- All attendees must sign a waiver (provided by Hidden River) in order to participate.
- Parental consent required for 18 and under.
- Not recommended for ages under 12.
- All tours begin with a brief safety talk and on-shore kayaking lesson.
- Moderate exertion level.
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Bring water and a snack
- Bring bug spray and sunscreen
PARKING: there is paid street parking and an Indego Bike Share doc at 120 S 24th St. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event.
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you’re in proximity to others.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
INSTRUCTOR BIO: Jason Mifflin has owned and operated Hidden River Outfitters since June, 2010. From homemade rafts to sea kayaks, Jason loves to be on the water in anything that floats. He spent much of his life paddling a canoe until he discovered kayaking about fourteen years ago. He appreciates both whitewater and flatwater kayaking for their respective exhilarating and relaxing qualities. Jason enjoys sharing his passion of being outdoors with others and reconnecting people with the rivers they often appreciate but never experience. Jason loves to get folks out on the water, regardless of their experience and expose them to paddling. Also, as a native of Philadelphia, he enjoys recounting the history and function of many of the areas that we encounter on our tours.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.