We’re launching our Jazz Appreciation Month (JAM) performances in the park with a tribute to two legends: Miles Davis and Bill Withers!
Saturday, April 1, 2023
12:00pm - 3:00pm
33rd St and Girard Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Miles Davis was arguably the most influential jazz musician in the post-World War II period, being at the forefront of changes in the genre for more than 40 years. With “Miles on My Mind”, trumpet player Leon Jordan Jr. and band will explore the music legacy of the late great jazz trumpeter Miles Davis. His 1959 album “Kind of Blue” featured Philly’s favorite son John Coltrane and is regarded by many critics as the greatest jazz record ever recorded and remains the all-time biggest-selling jazz album. Coltrane traveled up to NYC to record with Davis while living in his house at 1511 North 33rd Street, just up the street from the Hatfield House.
“A Jazz Tribute to Bill Withers” is a show celebrating one of the most unique and identifiable American songwriters through a jazz lens. Expect reworkings of classic tunes like “Lovely Day”, “Ain’t No Sunshine” and “Lean On Me”. The band will be led by Saxophonist/Vocalist Robin Clabby and feature an A-list crew of Philadelphia area musicians.
Bring your own food, refreshments, a lawn chair or a picnic blanket, and make yourself at home on the front lawn of the Hatfield House!
(In the event of rain, performances will be moved inside the house with limited seating on a first come, first serve basis. Doors open at 11:30 AM.)
The afternoon of music is part of our 2023 JAM series, presented in partnership with the Music Performance Trust Fund and the American Federation of Musicians Local 77. Click on the links below for more info and to RSVP for the other shows in this series.
- April 8, 12-3 pm – Jazz History at Hatfield House: Happy Birthday to Billie, Freddie, and Carmen McCrea!
- April 15 and April 29, 1-4 pm – “Brass in the Grass” at the Fairmount Water Works
- April 30, 1-4 pm – Jazz History at Hatfield House: Honoring Wonderful Women & Local Legends of Jazz Music
- 12:15-1:15: Leon Jordan Jr – Miles on My Mind
- 1:45-2:45: Robin Clabby– A Jazz Tribute to Bill Withers
TICKETS: FREE! Advanced RSVP is appreciated
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Event is outside on the front lawn of the Hatfield House.
- You’re welcome to bring your own food & drink.
- Bring a lawn chair or a picnic blanket.
- In the event of rain, performances will be moved inside the house with limited seating on a first come, first serve basis. Doors open at 11:30 AM.
- There are bathrooms located in the Hatfield House.
PARKING/GETTING THERE: There is very limited parking at the Hatfield House. To enter the lot, turn right after the Aldi on Girard Avenue (you may have to actually turn into the Aldi lot to turn around, if not travelling from the east). Due to the limited parking, we strongly recommend arriving with Uber, Lyft, Indego Bike Share, or public transportation.
Enjoy our programs? Become a Supporter of Fairmount Park Conservancy to help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come! Supporters enjoy special benefits like early registration access for events and our Park Perk Pass, which offers discounts and benefits throughout Philadelphia.