Start your day with a peaceful hike and meditation along the Trolley Trail!
Sunday, September 10, 2023
9:00am - 11:00am
West Fairmount Park, Army Rd
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Join the Fairmount Park Conservancy and ecotherapist/Lenape nature healer Krista Nelson for a guided hike and meditation along the Trolley Trail on September 10 from 9:00-11:00 AM. This hike will help you rekindle your love of nature and find strength and companionship in a community of fellow nature lovers.
As a 6th generation Lenape grandmother, Krista honors the Lenape tradition of interconnectedness and reverence for nature. A Lenape language keeper, Krista is working to revitalize this endangered indigenous language and unlock embedded codes to Lenape culture for a people and a planet in dire need of decolonizing hearts and minds.
We will hike for about 2.5 miles over mainly hilly trails, stopping to listen and closely observe the natural surroundings. Our journey will lead us to several small tributary creeks, where we will meditate accompanied by the reassuring rhythmic sounds of the flowing water. We will join in with the sound of the creek with our own spontaneous humming and whistling and in this way, show our love for the water. Krista calls this practice of listening to the water and reciprocating with sound, “Creek Drinking” (not literally of course!).
This event will connect you to nature and allow you to find your breath in tune with the creek’s flow so you can let troublesome thoughts wash away downstream. It will also help you develop a deeper appreciation for the Lenape — the first inhabitants and stewards of these lands.
Estimated distance: about 2.5 miles
Terrain: mainly hilly trails
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $10, $15, or $20
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- The hike is roughly 2.5 miles over mainly hilly trails.
- Appropriate for adults and mature adolescents.
- Please dress according to weather conditions and wear good hiking shoes (boots/sneakers).
- Bring water (drinking water is not available in the park), a snack, and if you would find it helpful, a small meditation cushion or towel that you can carry with you during the hike.
- Unfortunately, there are no bathrooms along the hike route so please plan accordingly.
- Bring sunscreen and bug spray.
- We will leave a few minutes after the scheduled start time. Please arrive at the departure location at least five minutes early. We cannot guarantee that latecomers can join after the group has departed.
PARKING: There is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car! If traveling by public transit, the nearest stop is at Belmont Ave and Belmont Mansion/Fairmount Park Drive (roughly a 1/2 walk from the start). The closest Indego bike station is at Parkside and Belmont Ave (1/2 mile away).
QUESTIONS? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy our programs? Become a Supporter of Fairmount Park Conservancy to help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come! Supporters enjoy special benefits like early registration access for events and our Park Perk Pass, which offers discounts and benefits throughout Philadelphia.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be canceled and attendees will be notified and eligible for a full refund.