Celebrate spring with a peaceful hike and meditation!
Sunday, June 11, 2023
9:00am - 11:00am
Shofuso Japanese House and Garden
Lansdowne and Horticultural Drives
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Ecotherapist Krista Nelson will lead a guided hike and meditation to help you rekindle your love of nature as we celebrate spring. Find strength and companionship in a community of fellow nature lovers.
We’ll start our hike with a tour of the Shofuso Japanese House and Garden where we’ll take in the beauty of the gardens while hearing about the unique architecture of the house. Our journey will then lead us to water, where we will spread out in seated positions at water’s edge, and collectively meditate accompanied by the reassuring rhythmic sounds of the flowing water. We will join in with the sound of the creek with our own spontaneous humming and whistling and in this way, show our love for the water. Krista calls this practice of listening to water and reciprocating with sound, “Creek Drinking” (not literally of course!).
This event will connect you to nature and develop your meditative practice. It will help you find your breath in tune with the creek’s flow so you can let troublesome thoughts wash away downstream.
Estimated distance: about 1.5 miles
Level: varies (see above)
Terrain: combination of flat open parkland and hilly trails
IMPORTANT: We will leave a few minutes after the scheduled start time. Please arrive at the departure location at least 5 minutes early. We cannot guarantee that latecomers can join after the group has departed.
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $15, $20, or $25
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Please wear sturdy shoes, comfy clothes and bring water, a snack and, if you would find it helpful, a small meditation cushion (or towel) that you can carry with you during the hike.
- Appropriate for adults and mature adolescents
- Guests will be asked to take their shoes off when touring Shofuso (disposable socks are available).
PARKING: There is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
Enjoy our programs? Become a Supporter of Fairmount Park Conservancy to help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come! Supporters enjoy special benefits like early registration access for events and our Park Perk Pass, which offers discounts and benefits throughout Philadelphia.
In case of inclement weather, event will be postponed to a later date.