Join us for a bird walk to East Park’s hidden hot spots led by Keith Russell.
Sunday, September 25, 2022
8:00am - 10:00am
3401 Reservoir Dr
Philadelphia, PA 19121
Join us for a bird walk to East Park’s hidden hot spots, led by Keith Russell, urban conservation program manager for the National Audubon Society’s Philadelphia-based chapter.
Each year millions of birds migrate through the city of Philadelphia and many of these birds use our parks as stopover sites during their travels. On this walk we’ll search for resident and migratory birds along the scenic area of Reservoir Drive in East Park during the peak of the fall migratory period. This walk will begin at the Discovery Center and conclude at Mt. Pleasant Mansion (returning to Discovery Center parking lot).
Keith will guide our eyes and ears. You can also bring your own bird book or download an identification app such as Merlin.
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $10, $15, or $20 [Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info.]
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Tour starts at 8 am sharp.
- BYOB – as in, please bring your own binoculars. If you don’t have any, we will have a limited number of binoculars to borrow
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 6 & up. Minors must be ticketed and accompanied by an adult.
- Dress according to weather conditions.
- Bring your own water and snacks. (drinking water is not available in the park)
- There are nearby bathrooms
PARKING: There is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event.
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you’re in proximity to others.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
PRESENTER BIO: Keith Russell is the Program Manager for Urban Conservation for Audubon Mid-Atlantic and a lifelong birder. Based at the Discovery Center here in Philadelphia, his work has involved education, monitoring, research, advocacy, and on the ground conservation to improve conditions for birds in ways that have also broadened engagement in the environmental movement. Areas of special focus include bird collisions with human structures, birds and nocturnal lights, native plants, migration stopover habitat, and ornithological history.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.