Join science educator and passionate bird watcher Jason Hall for a friendly, all-ages bird watching walk
Sunday, March 20, 2022
8:00am - 10:00am
FDR Park Boathouse
1500 Pattison Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19145
LOCATION: FDR Park Lakes
Join science educator and passionate bird watcher Jason Hall for a friendly, all-ages bird watching walk around Fairmount Park and FDR Park. Jason (aka: The Birding Beardsman @thebirdingbeardsman ) is a scientist, photographer, animal lover, and community activist who is passionate about sharing the wonders of nature here in Philadelphia with others.
We’ll explore Lansdowne Glen and FDR Park lakes. These bodies of water serve as “rest stops” on the highway for the migration of many spectacular species, so you’ll be delighted by the diversity of winged creatures hidden in plain sight! Jason will guide our eyes and ears. You can also bring your own bird book or download an identification app such as Merlin.
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $10, $15, or $20
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
ATTENDEE INSTRUCTIONS: KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Tour starts at 8 am sharp.
- BYOB – as in, please bring your own binoculars
- Appropriate for Adults and families with children ages 6 & up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park)
- There are nearby bathrooms (porta-potties)
PARKING: there is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event.
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you’re in proximity to others.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
PRESENTER BIO: Jason Hall is a scientist and community-based science educator, photographer, #BlackBirder, dog lover, LGBTQ+ ally, political junky, and mixed family advocate. Jason is the founder of In Color Birding Club, an organization founded in 2021 to make the birding experience a positive one for BIPOC folks and their allies. He also has side business Waxwing Photography, which Jason calls “Philantography” since he donated profits from photography jobs to support pet shelters and pet foster programs across southeastern Pennsylvania. Follow Jason at @thebirdingbeardsman and In Color Birding at www.incolorbirding.org and @incolorbirdingclub
Photo credit: Jason Hall
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.