Join experienced bird watcher and trip leader Holger Pflicke for a bird hike on the Boxers’ Trail!
Saturday, October 7, 2023
4:00am - 6:00am
Mount Pleasant Mansion
3800 Mt Pleasant Dr
Join Fairmount Park Conservancy and experienced birder Holger Pflicke for a 2-3 mile bird-watching hike in East Fairmount Park on October 7 from 8:00–10:00 AM. We’ll hike along the Boxers’ Trail – an excellent location to connect with nature. During this time of year, the large woods are bustling with returning birds and stopover migrants. Holger will guide our eyes and ears as we look and listen for woodpeckers, sparrows, thrushes, warblers, and more. Participants are encouraged to bring a bird book or download an identification app such as Merlin.
INSTRUCTOR BIO: Holger Pflicke is an avid birder with years of experience leading walks with BirdPhilly. He’s a lifetime member of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club (DVOC). Holger got hooked on birding at age 12, thanks to his uncle who was involved in the reintroduction of peregrine falcons in his region of Germany. Holger has been in the US since the fall of 2010 and while he has a lot of favorite spots on the Delmarva and along the Jersey Shore, most of his birding is done locally in Philly parks before and after work, especially during migration season. His focus is on little-visited parks like Pennypack, Poquessing, Tacony, smaller parks like Fernhill and Fisher Parks, and lesser-known sections of West Fairmount Park. When not chasing birds, Holger helps people as the Study Director of pre-clinical oncology studies.
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $10, $15, or $20
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- The hike will be roughly 2-3 miles in length over a combination of flat, open parkland and hilly trails (moderate exertion).
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 12 and up. Minors must be ticketed and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions and wear good hiking shoes (boots/sneakers).
- Please bring your own water and snack (drinking water is not available in the park).
- There are no bathrooms nearby so please plan accordingly.
- Bring sunscreen and bug spray.
- The tour starts at 8:00 AM sharp. We will leave shortly after the scheduled start time. Please arrive at the departure location at least five minutes early. We cannot guarantee that latecomers can join after the group has departed.
- BYOB – as in, please bring your own binoculars. If you don’t have any, we will have a limited number of binoculars to borrow. Please reach out to email@example.com to let us know if you need a pair.
PARKING/GETTING THERE: Meet at Mount Pleasant Mansion. There is plenty of free parking available in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car! If traveling by public transit, the nearest stop is at 33rd and Oxford Street – a 3/4 mile walk from the start. The closest Indego bike station is at 33rd and Reservoir Drive – also 3/4 miles from the start.
QUESTIONS? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy our programs? Become a Supporter of Fairmount Park Conservancy to help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come! Supporters enjoy special benefits like early registration access for events and our Park Perk Pass, which offers discounts and benefits throughout Philadelphia.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.