Join experienced bird watcher and trip leader Holger Pflicke for a brisk bird hike on the Trolley Trail!
Sunday, April 23, 2023
8:00am - 10:00am
Belmon Plateau Cross Country Course
Philadelphia, PA 19131
West Fairmount Park is an excellent location to connect with nature and its large woods provide a great opportunity to get one closer to the 10,000-steps-a-day goal. This time of year, Philly’s green spaces are once again bustling with returning breeding birds and stopover migrants. The park will be no different, with woodpeckers, sparrows, thrushes and warblers abound. Our goal will be to walk about 3 miles on various terrain with up- and downhills while watching and talking about birds. We will utilize a brisker pace than during a typical bird walk finishing in about 2 hours. Holger will guide our eyes and ears. You can also bring your own bird book or download an identification app such as Merlin.
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $10, $15, or $20
[ Not sure what to pay? Please refer to this Sliding Scale Pricing FAQ for additional info. ]
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Level: moderate to difficult (some hiking experience recommended)
- Terrain: combination of flat open parkland and hilly trails
- Please wear appropriate footwear (hiking boots recommended).
- Tour starts at 8 am sharp.
- BYOB – as in, please bring your own binoculars. If you don’t have any, we will have a limited number of binoculars to borrow.
- Appropriate for adults and families with children ages 12 & up. Minors must be ticketed and accompanied by an adult.
- Dress according to weather conditions.
- Bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park).
- There are limited nearby bathrooms (porta-potties) so please plan accordingly.
GETTING THERE/PARKING: Meet at Belmont Plateau Cross Country Course entrance (parking lot next to the Car Barn building). From Montgomery Dr., turn onto gated park road with blue “Car Barn” sign at the entrance. Parking lot is a few hundred feet ahead. There is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
GUIDE BIO: Holger Pflicke is an avid birder with years of experience leading walks with BirdPhilly. He’s a lifetime member of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club (DVOC). Holger got hooked on birding at age 12, thanks to his uncle who was involved in the reintroduction of peregrine falcons in his region of Germany. Holger has been in the US since the fall of 2010 and while he has a lot of favorite spots on the Delmarva and along the Jersey Shore, but most of his birding is done locally in Philly parks before & after work, especially during migration season. His focus is on little-visited parks like Pennypack, Poquessing, Tacony, smaller parks like Fernhill and Fisher Parks, and lesser known sections of West Fairmount Park. When not chasing birds, Holger helps people as the Study Director of pre-clinical oncology studies.
Enjoy our programs? Become a Supporter of Fairmount Park Conservancy to help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come! Supporters enjoy special benefits like early registration access for events and our Park Perk Pass, which offers discounts and benefits throughout Philadelphia.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be cancelled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.