Join experienced bird watcher and trip leader Holger Pflicke for a brisk bird hike on the Trolley Trail!
Saturday, April 30, 2022
8:00am - 10:00am
West Fairmount Park, Army Rd
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Join experienced bird watcher and trip leader Holger Pflicke for a brisk bird hike on the Trolley Trail! West Fairmount Park is an excellent location to connect with nature and its large woods provide a great opportunity to get one closer to the 10,000-steps-a-day goal. This time of year, Philly’s green spaces are once again bustling with returning breeding birds and stopover migrants. The park will be no different, with woodpeckers, sparrows, thrushes and warblers abound. Our goal will be to walk about 3 miles on various terrain with up- and downhills while watching and talking about birds. We will utilize a brisker pace than during a typical bird walk finishing in about 2 hours.
Special City Nature Challenge Event!
Fairmount Park Conservancy is a partner organization leading Philadelphia’s entry in the 2022 City Nature Challenge, a nature observation competition between over 400 cities around the world. We’re going to use this hike as an opportunity to get lots of photos as we go. At the end of the hike, we’ll provide info about how to submit your photos to the competition. Let’s help Philly rise to the challenge!
For more info on how to participate, visit Philly’s City Nature Challenge website: https://cncphilly.org/how-to-participate/
TICKET PRICES: Pay what you can – $10, $15, or $20
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS: If Philadelphia’s parks make a difference in your life – consider becoming a member of Fairmount Park Conservancy and help ensure that Philadelphia’s parks are enhanced for generations to come. PLUS members register first for events and enjoy discounts on park experiences including Treetop Quest, Shofuso and more!
ATTENDEE INSTRUCTIONS: KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
- Tour starts at 8 am sharp.
- BYOB – as in, please bring your own binoculars. If you don’t have any, we will have a limited number of binoculars to borrow.
- Appropriate for Adults and families with children ages 6 & up. Minors must be registered and accompanied by an adult.
- Please dress according to weather conditions.
- Please bring your own water and snacks (drinking water is not available in the park)
- There are nearby bathrooms (porta-potties)
PARKING: there is plenty of free parking in the park. As always, NEVER leave valuables in your car!
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: By registering for this event you are agreeing to follow ALL of these protocols:
- This event has limited capacity. Please only register if you fully intend to attend and let us know if you need to cancel ASAP.
- Participants must maintain 6 feet of distance from one another during the event.
- Please bring a mask. We encourage you to wear it if you’re in proximity to others.
- If you or anyone in your household are exhibiting COVID-19 systems, please stay home.
PRESENTER BIO: Holger Pflicke is an avid birder with years of experience leading walks with BirdPhilly. He’s a lifetime member of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club (DVOC). Holger got hooked on birding at age 12, thanks to his uncle who was involved in the reintroduction of peregrine falcons in his region of Germany. Holger has been in the US since the fall of 2010 and while he has a lot of favorite spots on the Delmarva and along the Jersey Shore, but most of his birding is done locally in Philly parks before & after work , especially during migration season. His focus is on lesser-visited large parks like Pennypack, Poquessing, Tacony, smaller parks like Fernhill and Fisher Parks, and lesser known sections of West Fairmount Park.
This event will take place in light rain. In the event of heavy rain or other severe conditions, the event will be canceled and attendees are eligible for a full refund.